Bike Natchitoches is offering a free “warm-up” ride Friday, May 4th before our Annual Plantation Ride Saturday May the 5th. The free ride will be of special interest to history buffs as it will highlight two historical sites of great interest.
The first, Los Adaes, founded in the early 1700s as a Franciscan Missionary and to protected the Spanish frontier from encroachment by the French from Fort St Jean Baptiste, located in Natchitoches.
The second, Fort Jesup was built in 1822 as a border outpost to protect the United States frontier, territory and settlers.
The ride will commence from Los Adaes after a short program. The ride to Ft Jesup and back is a challenging 20 miles (hills) and will be for experienced riders. Interested parties can drive to Ft Jesup.
After light refreshments and another program we will return to Los Adaes.
You will pass through the town of Robeline that has two antique shops that have items of interest for all ages.
Los Adaes will, open at 8:30. The initial ride and return trip will start after the programs and should be over by 12:30 or 1PM.
Registration is not required but we would like a head count. Please text 318-471-3085 if you plan to attend.
LOS ADAES STATE HISTORIC SITE
6354 Hwy. 485
Robeline, LA 71449
From I-49, exit onto LA 6 west. Turn right onto LA 485 and follow the signs
Los Adaes, the symbol of New Spain in Louisiana, was once the capital of Texas and the scene of a unique cooperation among the French, the Spanish and the indigenous Native Americans. An area rich in archaeological finds, it thrives today as one of Louisiana’s most intriguing state Historic Sites
Los Adaes dates back to the early 1700s when a Franciscan missionary, Father Francisco Hidalgo, urged the French governor of Louisiana to establish a post near east Texas. The missionary’s objectives weren’t purely religious; he knew that such an action by the French would alert New Spain and cause the Spanish government to re-establish previously closed Spanish military posts and Franciscan missions. The founding of Natchitoches in 1714 by the Frenchman St. Denis and the subsequent construction there of Fort St. Jean Baptiste had the predicted effect. In 1716, the Spanish established six missions and one fort in east Texas.
In 1772, ten years after Louisiana was transferred to Spain, Los Adaes closed and the inhabitants moved to San Antonio. However, many of the 500 soldiers and family members soon left San Antonio and returned to Louisiana, where their descendants live today
FORT JESUP STATE HISTORIC SITE
32 Geoghagan Rd.
Many, LA 71449
The site is located in Sabine Parish, just 30 minutes from Natchitoches and I-49, and six miles east of Many off LA 6 (formally the San Antonio Road).
Purchase Treaty of 1803 failed to clearly define the western boundary of Louisiana, which was also the western border of the country at that time, the United States claimed eastern Texas and Spain claimed western Louisiana. The ensuing dispute gave rise to the “Neutral Ground,” an area where the laws of neither nation were enforced. Soldiers and settlers were kept out and rogues of various stripes ruled the region
After the territorial boundary was finally fixed at the Sabine River by the Florida Purchase Treaty of 1819, the United States built Fort Jesup in 1822. Lieutenant Colonel Zachary Taylor established and commanded the garrison, which was originally called Cantonment Jesup in honor of Taylor’s good friend Brigadier General Thomas Sidney Jesup. Taylor’s troops managed to establish law and order in the Neutral Ground and Fort Jesup remained an important military post for nearly 25 years.
Soldiers at Fort Jesup performed many duties which opened the frontier to American settlers:
The soldiers of Fort Jesup saw thousands of settlers move into the province of Texas and then watched Texas become independent of Mexican authority. In 1845, half of the U.S. Army traveled through the Fort Jesup area en route to war with Mexico.
The fort was abandoned in 1846 when it was no longer needed as a border outpost.